SkinLock is a 100% transparent, medical-grade tattoo sealant. It's a two part system with a hydrogel and hydrogel sealant that protects from leakage and can be easily washed off only three hours after application. It is a doctor-formulated product and has been said to be a "game-changer" by world-renowned tattoo artists like Jack Rudy, Charlie Cartwright, and Bob Tyrrell. You can find SkinLock at PainfulPleasures.com.
Directions for use:
Apply SkinLock immediately after tattoo is completed.
- Clean the tattoo area;
- Apply a THIN layer of SkinLock Tattoo Hydrogel to the tattoo area;
- Immediately mist the tattoo area (from 6” to 12” away) with SkinLock Tattoo Hydrogel Sealant.Do not overspray.Allow time to dry (30-60 seconds);
- Leave SkinLock in place for 2-3 hours.No additional dressing required.To remove, gently wash with warm water.
- Ensure that the fresh tattoo is thoroughly cleaned of all excess blood, ink and tattoo product(s);
- Tear open one packet of hydrogel.Apply the hydrogel directly onto the fresh tattoo using gloved fingers.Cover the entire area (including 1/2” outside the area) with a very THIN layer of hydrogel.Do not apply excess hydrogel… it doesn’t take much. Once applied, it’s normal to have excess hydrogel remaining in the packet (one packet covers an area of approximately 12” x 24” or more). Each packet is single-use only and should not be re-used.Opened packets along with unused hydrogel remaining in the packet should be discarded immediately.
- Ideally, the sprayer should be held approximately 12” to 18” away from the tattoo.If held too close, stinging will occur.You want to MIST the spray onto the tattoo, not a direct spray.It’s best to spray “above” the tattoo and let the mist fall gently onto the area.It only takes about 2-3 sprays to cover a typical tattoo.Maximum 5 sprays per hydrogel packet.Once sprayed, allow enough time until feels dry to the touch.If done correctly, it should only take a minute or two.If excess hydrogel was applied, it may take up to five minutes;
- Once applied, the client should leave SkinLock on the fresh tattoo for three hours.As per normal tattoo precautions, avoid rubbing the area, do not get the area wet and avoid the sun.After three hours, gently wash it off using warm water.Gently pat it dry and continue normal after-care procedures to keep the area moist until fully healed.It is perfectly safe to keep SkinLock on the skin for longer than three hours, but it will have served its purpose and is no longer effective after this point.For best results, wash it off after three hours.
Q: Can I get more spray? I’ve run out of spray but still have hydrogel packets left…
A: Yes. We will send you a complimentary spray bottle. But be aware that you are using too much spray per packet. There is enough spray in each bottle to apply up to five sprays per packet. A typical tattoo will require only 2-3 sprays, so there’s more than enough spray for the 24 packets contained in each box.
Q: If I have excess hydrogel remaining in a packet, can I use it on another tattoo?
A: No. Hydrogel packets are single-use only. There is enough hydrogel in each packet to cover a single tattoo area of approximately 10” x 24”, so it is normal to have excess hydrogel left over for smaller tattoos. Once a packet is opened and used once, it should be immediately discarded along with the excess hydrogel remaining inside. Do not store open packets for future use.
Q: Is stinging normal?
A: Yes. A mild stinging sensation is normal (and temporary). That’s the antiseptic alcohol working which helps to establish a clean, antimicrobial environment for proper healing. If the client is experiencing a “strong” stinging sensation, it usually means that either too much spray was applied or the spray bottle was held too close to the area. Hold the sprayer further back and reduce the amount of spray used. It typically requires only a couple of MISTING sprays to do the job. Direct, excessive spraying is not necessary and will contribute to increased stinging. Clients should be aware of the possibility of stinging, especially on sensitive areas, prior to application.
Q: How long should I leave SkinLock applied my fresh tattoo? Is it harmful to leave it on “too long”?
A: For best results, leave SkinLock applied the skin for at least three hours. At this point, it will have done its job and there are no additional benefits. Wash it off with warm water and begin your aftercare procedure as recommended by your artist. There’s no harm to leaving it on longer, but clients should monitor the area to make sure that the tattoo remains clean and moist at all times for best results.
Q: What should I do/avoid once SkinLock is applied?
A: As per normal precautions for a fresh tattoo, avoid any friction/rubbing against the fresh tattoo, avoid the sun and do not get it wet.
Q: Where can I purchase SkinLock?
A: You can purchase it at PainfulPleasures.com.