Every artist needs to know how to use, control, and clean their tools, and permanent makeup artists are no exception. Especially with the growth in popularity of eyebrow microblading, permanent makeup artists should be familiar with how to clean their microblading eyebrow pen, also called simply a microblading pen or a microblading stylus. It is critical to keep your microblading pen clean so that you reduce the risk of injury and infection for your clients.
First of all, keep in mind that a microblading pen is different from a permanent makeup machine, which is a power tool similar to a tattoo machine and has its own cleaning and maintenance needs.
A microblading pen is a simpler tool that consists of two main parts: the pen/grip and the needle (sometimes called the “blade”). The microblade pen, which is fully reusable, is the part that you must sterilize between procedures. Microblading needles, however, are disposable and should never be reused under any circumstance. Be sure to dispose of all used microblading needles in an appropriate sharps container immediately after use.
How to Clean Your Microblading Eyebrow Pen
- After the procedure is complete, remove the microblading needles from the pen and dispose of them in a sharps container.
- Wash the pen thoroughly with antimicrobial soap under hot water, scrubbing with a clean, stiff scrubbing brush.
- Prepare a small amount of antimicrobial soap and hot water solution in a 1:1 ratio. You need just enough to completely submerge the microblading pen in a small container. Let it soak, submerged, for one hour. After one hour, remove the pen from the solution, rinse with water and let it dry.
- Submerge the pen in CIDEX, Perasafe, or another comparable disinfectant solution for 15 minutes. Remove the pen from the solution (make sure to wear gloves if using your hands) and let it air dry.
- Store the sterilized pen in a sealed, sterile container until needed.
By following these steps, and by keeping your workspace and station as clean as you keep your tools, both you and your clients can rest assured that they’re getting the safest, most sanitary service possible.